Senior Corporate Counsel – Environmental Law
Work Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posted Date: March 14, 2019
The Senior Corporate Counsel – Environmental Law is responsible for developing and driving the environmental legal strategy and policy for the company. This executive level position reporting directly to the Global Regulatory Affairs VP & Associate General Counsel serves as the primary legal advisor to Ecolab’s senior management for all legal matters within the environmental areas. This executive sets the Ecolab overall legal vision, strategy and policy for these areas and is responsible for all legal services relating to federal and state environmental laws.
This role will drive environmental and regulatory due diligence & integration on business acquisitions, manage environmental remediation and dispute resolution, and work with Supply Chain management on environmental permitting and other matters related to approximately 150 manufacturing facilities. In this role, an outstanding environmental attorney can help Ecolab deliver on its business mission of making the world cleaner, safer, & healthier.
1. Overall responsibility for leading and coordinating environmental legal strategy and policy activities of Ecolab and its subsidiaries, including developing and implementing a vision and strategy for the Ecolab Law Department’s environmental function.
2. Performing legal services associated with high-level and complex legal matters in environmental areas, including providing advice and counsel to Ecolab’s senior leadership on all legal matters in these areas. Directing and coordinating outside legal counsel retained to assist with environmental matters globally.
3. Assisting Ecolab senior management (particularly within the Supply Chain, Safety, Health & Environment, Corporate Development, Pest Elimination and other business units) with environmental matters associated with mergers and acquisitions, significant real estate transactions, and regulatory matters.
- JD degree
- 12+ years of legal experience in environmental law and policy in relevant jurisdictions
- Superior legal judgment in the business context
- 2+ years In-house legal experience
- Working knowledge of corporate organization and administration, as well as company operations and business objectives
- Advanced oral and written presentation skills and ability to interpret and clearly convey complex information
- Ability to address challenging legal issues, managing competing interests and provide counsel to senior management
- Ability to provide timely advice and exercise good judgment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively plan and manage a heavy workload
- Ability to counsel, influence and collaborate with others inside and outside the company
- Ability to read literature, scientific and technical and legal journals, abstracts, financial reports and legal documents
- Ability to prepare well-written correspondence, memoranda, contracts, articles, manuals and critiques
- Ability to make comprehensive presentations, participate in formal debate, communicate extemporaneously, and communicate before an audience with poise
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions