Category: Supply Chain
Work Location: Alexandria, Suhaj
Posted Date: April 12, 2017
The Plant Engineer – Egypt is a mid-level position within our leadership team that thrives on challenge in the quest for continuous improvement in production management, process control, quality, material efficiency, & start-up of new product production. Ongoing activities will include manufacturing optimisation, quality problem-resolution with a focus on plant capabilities in blending and packaging. This role will challenge you to optimise plant activities, using the excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving you’ve gained in a similar role. We are seeking a Chemical Engineering graduate with 5 – 10 years in a chemical manufacturing environment with expertise in batch plant design and operations.
Expectation is to focus on safe plant operations, plant design improvements, resolving problems associated with mixing, packaging and logistics with the goal of reducing customer complaints. You will be expected to manage a small operations team, challenged to reduce batch adjustments, spending at least 50% of your time on the floor to provide training, conduct audits, and work on new product introduction. Gain recognition as someone who pays high attention to detail and shows persistence in resolving problems.
Opportunity is based in Alexandria – Egypt
- Safe operation of a chemical batch manufacturing plant.
- Drive culture of safety; Report safety observations / incidents
- Management of a plant operations team – circa 5-10 headcount
- Successfully completes technical training, computer based training, achieves appropriate quality certifications. May conduct laboratory analyses per specifications. Ensures that documentation is kept per Ecolab standards.
- Ensures Quality System is implemented. Manages audit system for internal & external providers of products. Performs supplier / plant quality audits, reviews supplier SPC / SQC data, conducts FMEA. Ensures raw materials, packaging materials, finished goods, & distribution activities meet specifications. Works with Purchasing to qualify & rate local raw materials, packaging materials & finished goods vendors.
- Uses statistical techniques to quantify & analyse plant or systems. Ensures processes have a Cpk >1.33 or better.
- Works cooperatively with Plants, Distribution, Engineering, R&D and Regional Quality to identify root causes of quality issues & implement processes to resolve issues. Communicates SPC / SQC data & analyses to plant manager, Engineering, R&D, and Regional Quality. Drives complaints & other quality indicators results.
- Provides technical guidance & works closely with Regional Quality, R&D, and local Manufacturing & Distribution on major new product introductions & acquisitions.
- Offers ideas that improve quality indicators, in line with cost, investment and service goals. Implements Lean concepts and practices.
- Performs standard engineering assignments which can be non-routine in nature and are typically plant upgrades / improvements and could be non-Egypt based. Coordinate with Global Engineering department.
- Develop recommends and implement production improvements. Use loss analysis techniques.
- Recommends appropriate materials, and/or techniques to carry out a specified sequence of standard engineering tasks.
- May assist technical support in testing new applications and problem solving.
- Prepare requisitions, DBM for plant improvement projects
- Handles special projects, as assigned.
- Participate in Risk Assessment and HAZOP’s
- Perform PSSR and Commissioning for new equipment / modifications.
- Attend Daily Operations Meeting
- Prepare production batch sheets
- Set up Master recipes and manufacturing procedures in SAP
- Reporting of daily plant production and warehousing activities
- Responsible for plant maintenance / troubleshooting, maintain preventive maintenance schedule, periodic monitoring, follow up with Contractors, Vendors, Supplier etc. as required.
- Review and discuss all completed and ongoing tasks and permits during shift handovers.
- Start-up and Shutdown activities, ensuring adherence to the procedures and permits (Hot work, Tank Entry, Start up checks etc.).
- Ensure that contractor employees are following the PTW system & safety procedures.
- Maintain maintenance schedules for every equipment in the plant. Detailed checklist to be developed and maintained.
- Obtain quotes for Plant consumables, Equipment spares in line with company policies. Follow up with other departments like Procurement, Finance as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering.
- Minimum of 5 years-experiences in Chemical Plant design and Manufacturing operations.
- Fluency in verbal and written Arabic as well as English
- Good Analytical skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills as well as good problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PPT), Visio
- Working knowledge of ERP systems (SAP)
- MS Access database management experience with the demonstrated ability to design and execute complex queries and reports preferred
- Experienced ISO 9001 internal auditor preferred
- Experience with statistical process control methods preferred
- Lean Six Sigma preferred
- Process Safety (PSM)